Worthy Park Estate in the parish of St. Catherine is 1,200 feet above sea level in a valley known as "the Vale of Lluidas" and is surrounded by mountains.
The Estate is located in the geographical center of the island of Jamaica, approximately forty miles by road to the north west of the capital Kingston and twenty eight miles due south of Ocho Rios, the major tourist center of Jamaica.
The name "Worthy Park" was patented in 1670 - this land was given to a Lieutenant Francis Price for his services to Cromwell during the English invasion and ultimate capture of Jamaica from the Spanish in 1655. The commercial production of cane and sugar began fifty years hereafter in 1720 and the production of cane and sugar has continued in every year to the present day.
The production of rum ceased in the 1950's under agreement with the Spirits Pool Association of Jamaica to curtail the over production of Jamaican Rum which occured in the years following World War II. Since 1670 Worthy Park has been owned by three families including the present proprietors. The Clarke Family acquired the Estate in 1918. Since the time of acquisition by the Clarkes, the Estate has remained private and has always been owner-operated and managed.
Currently Worthy Park is 3,600 hectares, mills 210,000 tonnes of cane annually of which 90,000 tonnes is produced by the Estate (the remainder purchased from Farmers) with an average annual sugar production of 24,000 tonnes and 7,000 tonnes of molasses. On the agricultural side, the Estate produces sugar cane at 83 tonnes per hectare and 10 tonnes of sugar per hectare.
The Worthy Park Sugar Factory's efficiency has been rated No. 1 in Jamaica every year since 1968.